You know that old saying “you don’t know what you’ve got ’till it’s gone”? Well, that’s Windsor. It doesn’t seem like anything extraordinary at first glance, but Windsor is a fantastic place to be.
I think Windsor’s got a little bit of everything. Whether you’re a runner, a biker, a dancer, a foodie, a shopper or a traveller, Windsor’s got it.
Top five favourite things about Windsor:
- The food. Some of my favourite restaurants include Taloola Cafe, Motor Burger, Hoi Sushi, Spago Trattoria E Pizzeria, and The Greek Grill. We also have some of the best pizza in the world. No joke.
- Detroit River riverfront. There are some beautiful biking and running trails along the Windsor-Detroit border. It’s also the site of numerous events throughout the year- my favourites include the Detroit Free Press International Half Marathon and various Runningflat races.
- Point Peele National Park. This beautiful park is the southernmost point in Canada and extends into Lake Erie. You can canoe, kayak, bike, or just lay by the beach.Whatever you do, it’s pretty cool to be at the tip of Canada.
- Detroit. In Windsor you’re about 5 minutes and a bridge away from fabulous shopping malls and the DTW airport, which will take you anywhere you need to go for half the price! This also means that we get their TV and radio stations (for free).
- It’s affordable. After moving to Ottawa I realized just how lucky we are in Windsor! Housing is very affordable, which makes everything else more affordable.
I took a stroll along the river at sunset with my family the last time I flew down. I wore a Mango off-the-shoulder dress, a Burberry silk twilly I bought during the Burberry summer sale last year, Rayban Clubmaster sunglasses, my staple Steve Madden black sandals, and my Louis Speedy 30 that I bought in Paris.
Bonus 6th thing I love about Windsor: the people. Windsorites are hard-working, kind people who will help you in any way they can. Seriously, what’s not to love about Windsor?
Photo credit: Lori Market